Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My hair is falling out

I think we all hope that we will be the lucky one.  The one who never throws up post op, the one who doesn't (or does) dump, the one who doesn't lose their hair.  I hoped, I prayed.  I thought I had actually gotten lucky and that my hair was going to be fine. 
I have always had a lot of long thick hair.  I had not noticed any hair loss (outside of my normal shedding) since surgery.  My hair was fine.  I was feeling pretty good.  Today in the shower my hopes started crashing and by the time I was done brushing my hair after my shower I knew that I was not lucky.  I lost 3 very large and full hand fulls of hair in the shower today.  Then I filled an entire brush completely full of hair after my shower.  I lost a LOT of hair today.  This is scary, if I keep losing hair at this rate I will be bald in 2 weeks tops....likely less.
For years I felt like the only pretty thing about me was my hair.  It is definitely more traumatic than I thought it would be to see hand fulls of my hair coming out.  I wanted to cry.  I still kind of want to cry. 
Since surgery I have also been dealing with some pretty severe acne.  Doctors feel it is due to the hormonal issues post op.  Estrogen is stored in fat....so as fat burns estrogen is released. My face is a mess. My skin is now dry (it has been oily my whole life). My hair is falling out. My entire body is starting to sag.  I feel ugly.  I feel unattractive and insecure.  I know that things will get better.  My hair will eventually grow back. My acne will eventually go away (or at least get vastly better). I know that after I reach goal weight I can go in for all the plastic surgery that can help fix some of the skin and sag. But in THIS moment....it is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment