Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bariatric mood swings...yeah, I am a bitch!

Fun fact: You can get severe mood swings during your active weight loss phase after bariatric surgery. 

My poor husband.  I have been on a rampage for a few weeks. I am irritable, angry, sad, manic.  In short...I have lost my ever loving mind. It is like the worst PMS ever, or early pregnancy.  I KNOW that I am being unreasonable, I KNOW that there is something really wrong with the sudden change in my normally happy way of reacting to the world around me...I just cant seem to stop it. 

So I started looking into it.  I decided that if I was going to go completely bat shit crazy I should at least know why, and be able to name the particular brand of bat shit crazy I was becoming.  According to the internet and my awesome skills at self diagnosis I have discovered that this is a common symptom following bariatric surgery in women. (I am kidding, I actually did talk to my doctor and did not just diagnose myself)   It seems that as you lose large amounts of weight all the estrogen stored in your fat is released. You end up with hormones rushing through your blood stream that would not normally be there.  These hormones (in my case) can cause the same kind of mood swings we all know and love from bad PMS.

So I guess I am not going insane, although my husband might still tend to disagree.  But crazy or not, if he chews with his mouth open just one more time someone may need to file a missing persons report.

No comments:

Post a Comment