Thursday, October 18, 2012

Self talk

Have you ever called your best friend a fat slob?  Have you ever walked up to a total stranger and told them they were worthless, that they didn't deserve love?  I bet you have done something just as bad....to yourself. 

I want to talk about self talk and my thoughts on it.  I spent a lot of years saying some REALLY horrible things to myself.  I said them in my head, and I said them out loud.  I called myself names in the mirror.  I said things that if I were to say them to any other human being would have made me public enemy number 1.  I called myself fat, loser, weak. I told myself I was worthless, ugly, disgusting.  I tortured myself with the most awful insults I could think up. I am sure many of you have done the same. 

Here is my question for you.  Would you EVER say those things to someone else?  If someone came to you needing a little kindness would you call them a worthless pig?  Or would you treat them with the kindness, respect, and dignity that all human beings deserve? 

So if it is not ok to treat a friend that way, to rip out their heart with words, then why is it ok to treat yourself that way?  It isn't. I learned that.  I don't remember how I found it, I heard someone talk about it and I realized how true it was.  I would never stand for someone else to call me those names, to hurt me like that...so why would I accept it from myself.  No good can come of it.  I am not perfect, and I do still struggle with it sometimes.  But I work at it.  I try everyday to be kind to myself, to treat myself with kindness and respect.  I deserve kindness and respect. 

I look at my daughter and I see this perfect little person who wants so much to be just like mommy.  She will grow up to mirror what she sees.  How can I let her grow up watching me hate myself, tear myself to shreds?  If I want her to love herself, accept herself, and be kind to herself I need to teach her how.  So I am working on teaching myself, and maybe we will learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment